Monday, April 16, 2012

Stephanie's Split Pea & Ham Soup


Looking for something to do with the left over Easter ham shank you put in the freezer ?

 My college friend made this for my daughter and I  recently when we were up visiting her in northern Idaho. Lots of cold winter days there, which I am pretty sure  means good soup recipes.

 Her family tradition is to serve this  hot, delicious soup with saltine crackers and mayonnaise.  Sounds weird doesn't it?  That's what I thought too, but  I wanted to be a good sport  and gave them a try. And  I have to say... as interesting as they were, they were pretty tasty too. 

Stephanie's Split Pea and Ham Soup
 
 So if you're looking for a good soup recipe while your waiting for spring to show up, give this a try.  Once again I ate half the soup before I realized I should take a picture.



Smoky Split Pea & Ham  Soup

2 quarts water or stock
1 pound dried split peas, cleaned and checked for debris
1 large ham shank
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 shot of dry sherry (optional)

Place water in large soup pot. Add all ingredients except sherry. Stir and turn heat to high. When soup begins to boil, turn heat down to medium low so soup gently boils. Cook 1 hour (add sherry at this point, if adding). Cook another 30 minutes until peas are soft. Stir often during cooking process. Add more water if soup is too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment