Friday, March 9, 2012

Peanut Butter & Apple Bars


Friday Morning Coffee Break

Drizzzzzzle........
I like Fridays!


 
Friday is often bring a treat to work day here at my office.  So on Tuesday when I was  looking at  favorite foods  on Pinterest   ( great lunch time entertainment with zero calories)  I  came  across this recipe for peanut butter and apple bars and knew immediately I  had to make them for Friday treat day.  I need “special occasions”  for new recipes so I don’t eat them all myself.

The Pinterest  link took me to www.twopeasandtheirpod.com  for this great recipe.   I was attracted to this recipe because peanut butter and apples are a natural sweet & salty combo, good for you and reminiscent of childhood.
And to make the morning even sweeter my professional photographer friend  Jessica took these awesome photos. You can see her work at  www.greengatephoto.com 
The pedestal of Peanut Butter Apple bars  are sitting on a table not far from my desk, and all morning I have felt like I am looking at a pinterest pin. How fun is that!
 

Peanut Butter Apple Bars
Yield: 24 bars
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
For the bars:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced apples, peel removed (I used Granny Smith apples)
For the peanut butter glaze:
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, until creamy and combined. Set mixture aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared dry ingredients, and stir until batter is smooth. Fold in the diced apples.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading the batter evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are slightly browned. Remove bars from oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
6. While the bars are cooling, make the peanut butter glaze. In a medium bowl, combine the sifted powdered sugar, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bars. Cut into squares and serve.


***



2 comments:

  1. Yay! :) And I can vouch for the fact that they were delicious.

    PS I forgot to say that if you want, we can sit down at lunch sometime and I can help you customize your theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun Jessica! We can email about a day and time. THANKS

      Delete