Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kale Pesto

Kale is my friend




(  

I became a big fan of kale last summer when it was the first veggie in my garden ready for a trip to the dinner table. It was also the last surviving plant come fall.
Kale became my friend and the rumor is  it's good for you!  One of my favorites is kale pesto,  it is a great compliment to many dishes - plus it has lots of  garlic.




Kale and Walnut Pesto
¼ cup chopped walnuts
3 garlic cloves
Salt
½ cup good olive oil
½ cup Parmesan cheese
½ pound of Kale with stems removed

Directions
1.       Blanch Kale.  (Bring water to boil, add Kale and 1 tsp salt.  When water returns to a boil let boil for 1-2  minutes and remove, put in ice water) Drain well.
2.       In a food processor chop garlic and walnuts.
3.       Add Kale to food processor, slowly add olive oil until smoothly pureed
4.       Add Parmesan. And salt if desired.
5.       Serve over pasta, rice or  my favorite - Spaghetti Squash 
 I   I also like it with crackers, especially the brand Mary's Gone Crackers
(    Add cheese after mixing with pasta, rice or squash to prevent little clumps)  




***********


No comments:

Post a Comment