Monday, February 13, 2012

ZUPPA TOSCANA BUTTERNUT SOUP





Zuppa Toscana Butternut Soup

I thought I had everything one evening to make my favorite version of Olive Gardens  Zuppa Toscana soup and realized I didn't have potatoes. So I substituted butternut squash and the results were YUMMY. A new favorite! And even lighter in calories when cooked with Italian chicken sausage.




Ingredients
1 LB ground hot Italian sausage
1 Medium butternut squash
1 Medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits ( optional)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups kale chopped into small pieces (no stems)
32 oz good quality chicken broth plus 2 cans
1 cup cream (or fat free half and half for less calories)




Directions
1. Cook sausage into small bits
2. Add chopped onions and saute till translucent
3. Drain fat
4. Add chicken broth, stir
5. peel squash and chop into largish bite size peieces
6. Add squash and garlic to pot
7. cook on medium heat till squash is tender
8. Simmer another 10 minutes
9. Salt and pepper to taste
10. Turn heat to low
11. Add kale and cream
12.  Heat through and serve. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4 comments:

  1. so YUMMY, next time I am going to double the recipe so that there are left overs!! Followed the recipe except I used frozen squash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this, I'm not much of a squash person, but it still looks very tastey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this today! Thank you for the recipe, mom! =)

    ReplyDelete