Sunday, April 29, 2012

Salted Caramel Oatmeal Squares



Salted Caramel Oatmeal Squares



 Salted Caramel Oatmeal Squares


Made these yummy bars for our church's in between service social
this morning.  Not what I typically serve for a breakfast item, but I figured if Nutella considers itself a breakfast item, these could be too. At least they have oatmeal in them.

But really, I just wanted a reason to try these since I've been reading some great salted caramel recipes lately on Pinterest. So I took my favorite oatmeal bars and added  salted caramel to the middle. yum.








Ingredients:
2 Cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Cup butter (2 cubes softened)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs
2 1/2 cups quick oatmeal
12 oz chocolate chips ( optional - I left out this time)
Chopped walnuts
 9x 13  Pyrex pan

Caramel
10 ounces caramel squares
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Melt in microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring about every 20 sec.
Stir & heat till smooth.

Directions
1.Blend butter, sugars, vanilla and water; beat in eggs. ( Love my kitchen aid mixer for this)
2. Stir together and add flour, soda, and salt.
3.Stir in oats and chocolate chips.( sometimes I add cran raisins or coconut)
4.Press 1/2 of the batter in a 9x 13 glass pan prepared with non stick cooking spray.
5. Pour  and spread caramel sauce evenly over the bottom layer.
6. Sprinkle with sea salt ( I like the sea salt in a grinder from Costco)
7. Drop small spoonfuls of cookie dough over the salted caramel and spread dough with a spatula till caramel is covered.
8. Sprinkle  top with chopped walnuts ( optional) and additional sea salt.
9. Bake bars for 25-30 minutes at 375.  Allow bars to cool  on a wire rack to room temperature before cutting.

Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment